Seeing how there has been 2 other progress videos of pure gameplay up on youtube, I wanted to keep the streak going, so I should have another one up for January's progress video within the next week! I know that December didn't see a video, but I was kinda busy with other things as I finished up the fall semester (and other personal things like getting an internship).
Now for the changelog for what's currently being developed and getting tons of bugfixes:
- Shadow Bosses (formally known as Rogues): Tough bosses that spawn as copies of whatever character made the planet that the boss is now guarding. They can be located by looking at the HUD in the upper right corner of the screen, but they are recommended to be fought later on when the player gains strength.
- Planet quests are removed, and replaced with having all quests spawn naturally and activate automatically when the player is within a screen's distance. Completing a quest will spawn a Ghost, which is basically a character in the game that died on a run.
- All enemies don't drop themselves anymore, it was too much junk on the screen just to have the added ability to take along a monster you killed.
- Creating a new character will make him mortal, with permadeath. You start on Generantis, and by killing a shadow boss you can enter the next planet in-game by clicking the dead boss. When reaching a dead-end planet, a boss called "Ascend" will spawn, and defeating him will allow you to ascend to immortality.
- When ascending, you can now Create Legendaries! Select ANY item you have, even another Legendary, and name it along with having flavor text.
- Legendary items drop in game, and when they drop they have an extra component added on, of ANY type from the item category. So you could have a legendary gun that slices enemies or a desert map that has ice caves. Every legendary item that drops again starts at level 1, and making that legendary into another new legendary will spawn somewhere in the game as a level 2 with the level 1 component intact, but with yet another random component! Max components is 9, but legendaries have unlimited levels so you could potentially roll upgraded weapons with more and more weapon attack each time!
- 2d Lighting!! The original skybox is back and better than ever. When the sun goes down, it gets dark out, and currently projectiles and your character emits light (even colored light). Going underground also makes it super scary and dark!
- Placing items in the generator now requires the proposed item to be a direct descendant of another item in the generator, unless it's a root item. This means you can't just put a godly tier item in the generator at the first few planets you spawn off generantis (due to game mechanics you should be able to put legendaries in if they have a matching base item tier, this is in the works for now).
- In game guides that trigger and popup during certain kinds of gameplay in order to help you understand the game better. These can be permanently toggled with the T key.
- A bunch of bug fixes and lots of fixing with the game's character saving.
This update should be available sometime later this month! Cya then!! :D